PREPARING THE TOPPING
100 g Mopani worms
½ Cup of boiling water
2 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper seasonings
- Cover the Mopani worms with boiling water and leave to soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and the butter until melted.
- Add the Mopani worms and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add your seasoning.
- Top your pizza with the fried Mapane worms.
If you’re using a pre-made pizza base top with your Mopani worms before following it’s standard cooking instructions.
MAKE YOUR OWN
1½ cups warm water (about 40o C)
1 Packet dry yeast
¼ Cup olive oil
4 Cups plain flour
1 tsp Sugar (optional)
Pinch of salt (optional)
1 cup Grated mozzarella cheese
1 Can of tomato purée
Your choice of additional toppings
- Pre-heat oven to 220o C
- Mix the yeast into the warm water until dissolved.
- Mix in the olive oil.
- Add the flour, salt and sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and allow to rest in a warm place for an hour to allow the dough to ferment and rise.
- Create 8 equal balls of dough (depending on the size of your pizza). Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Roll out each ball on a floured surface or flat oven tray to about 2½ cm thick.
- Pre-bake the dough base for 5 minutes before adding the toppings. This makes a crispier base.
- Spread your tomato purée on the dough and cover with ½ of the cheese.
- Add the Mopani worms and your favourite toppings.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 15 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling.
TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR HOMEMADE PIZZA